Self-Introduction Email

Dear Prof. Blackstone

I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to introduce myself and provide you with a brief overview of my background. My full name is Muhammad Amir Bin Ashri, most people call me by Amir.

I am currently studying engineering in this university to do my best to pursue my academic journey and commitment for my future even though it may be difficult at times. I went through my primary and secondary school in the same institution, Madrasah Irsyad Zuhri Al-Islamiah - a school that focuses on religion and the Arabic language aside from the standard secular academic subjects.

Afterwards, I went to and graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic with a diploma in Robotics and Mechatronics. Then, I worked as a technician at my former intern company for seven months up until I got called up for national service. I got posted to the Singapore Police Force and was a Ground Response Force Officer for most of my national service term. I mainly went out for patrol and responded to "999" calls. It was an eye-opening experience as I handled situations I had never thought of seeing. It also required me to adapt to the steep learning curve of managing different situations spontaneously. Personally, for me it was mentally and physically demanding.

As I move forward in my academic journey, I am eager to apply the skills I have acquired in real-world scenarios be it in the workplace or for my hobby such as mountain biking. What sparked my interest for engineering, was delving into the mechanical aspects which had given me a better understanding of my hobby as I tried to relate and apply the knowledge I gained from school. Though, I still have room for further improvement.

I am particularly interested in mountain biking as I have the freedom to choose between thrilling rides or relaxing ones. Additionally, the trails and resources are considered quite accessible in Singapore. I also enjoy travelling up to Malaysia for dirt-biking - an activity not available in Singapore.

To describe my social and communication skills, I would say I am quite reserved in most social settings. Though, I would try to reciprocate the energy to people who are outgoing or friendly with me. I aim to improve on communicating in formal settings as it is very crucial in the context of education, career advancement, and networking as I easily get stage fright during presentations or interviews even with a small audience.

Frankly, another goal I have for now is to get the best results I can achieve in university and get a job that I do not dread and pays me well. Until then, I will try my best, and also hope my classmates and I can graduate together with flying colours and achieve whatever we aspire in life.

Best Regards

Amir

Comments

  1. Hi Amir, it's a wonderful piece of introduction. Loved the part where u mentioned about your hobby and you describe your goals and objectives in a clear and concise manner.
    Hope to hear more from you during this module and have a wonderful journey ahead!
    Regards,
    JiaJun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amir

    This is a very detailed and well elaborated self introduction. I especially can relate to this letter as we share the same hobby. However, I think you can do a better job at linking your hobby to your personality. For example, in the part where you mentioned about the freedom to choose between thrilling or relaxing trails, you could have mentioned about how mountain biking made you a a very determined/hardworking/etc. person.

    Otherwise, thank you for sharing about yourself and I look forward to learning with you!

    Best regards
    Syahmi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Amir,

    Thank you for this highly informative and well articulated letter. You address each of the areas of the prompt and illustate those with specific information that is interesting. For instance, you mention having studied in a madrasah school, where Arabic was a subject. It would have been even more interesting for you to explain to us readers what if any lasting impact this has had on you.

    As you mention your NS experience and having been a ground response force officer, you do explain that "it was mentally and physically demanding." That gives us a sense of your reaction to the job.

    Otherwise, there are only a couple areas that could be improved.
    1. sentence structure ("though" is not a transition word.)
    -- Though, I still have room for further improvement.
    -- Though, I would try to reciprocate the energy to people who are outgoing or friendly with me.
    2. communication goal
    -- Frankly, another goal I have for now is to get the best results I can achieve in university and get a job that I do not dread and pays me well. > (Revise this to imbue it with a hint at the value of communication.)

    Thanks again for the effort.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Prof. Blackstone

      Thank you for the feedback professor. Will take note of the advise given and I look forward to seeing you in class!

      With Love
      Amir

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS) - Summary Reader Response Draft 3

Summary and Thesis of Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS)